Sunday, September 18, 2011

In Week 2 in EDU 651: Collaboration & Learning in a Virtual Environment. I learned...

There are two (2) important things that I've learned this week in Collaboration & Learning in a Virtual Environment.  The first objective gave me the opportunity to view wikis in a different light.  Although, they are very positive and resourceful tools; there can also be cons, downfalls, and disadvantages to using them in the educational setting.  Now understanding wikis a little bit better now I see how they can be used inappropriately or even misinterpreted; depending on where the information on the wiki came from.  They can be used to help students complete a project or help them to become more knowledgeable on certain topics.  After doing some research myself - I found out how they can be used to target others students in a negative way, such as cyber-bulling.  Lastly there is what I like to call unreliable information or junk that is put on wiki that probably came from a personal opinion; instead of that information coming from a scholarly resource.

The second element I learned during week 2 is creating a lesson plan for a wiki that we will use in my future classroom.  I think my professor misunderstood my posting.  I took 3 related items that could work with each other, but they are all different projects.  I wanted my students to take the contents of creating a wiki that would allow the school to enjoy the wiki newsletter/newspaper, wiki FAQ's, and school wiki scrapbook; which helps with creating a blueprint for future students once they begin to do the same type of projects.  All 3 of these projects will are supposed to ultimately form into one big puzzle and resource for the entire school.

No comments:

Post a Comment